I hope your holidays have been “merry and bright.”
As 2014 approaches, I want to tell you about some of the great programs we have in store! After our annual gallery maintenance in January, we’ll reopen to the public on February 8 with all new exhibitions. We have a fabulous line up of shows and jurors on our Art Submission Calendar, available by clicking here. The 2014 calendar includes over $4,000 in awards for artists!
Here are some more highlights for the year ahead:
- Thanks to funding from the New York State Council on the Arts and the Milton and Sally Avery Foundation, we will continue our very popular Dialogues lecture and film series. Upcoming talks include artist Carolee Schneemann, a lecture on WPA artist Wendell Jones and his contemporaries by author and scholar Karal Ann Marling, and a special panel talk on American realist painter Eugene Speicher with Valerie Ann Leeds, Tom Wolf, and Daniel Belasco.
- The 6th Annual Woodstock Regional Far & Wide will be juried by Ian Berry, Dayton Director of the Tang Museum at Skidmore College and a highly respected specialist in contemporary art. Watch for future emails detailing submission guidelines.
- More great exhibitions in the Towbin Wing, including the first retrospective of the career of Wendell Jones since the 1950s and Georges Malkine: Perfect Surrealist Behavior, featuring international loans of this French surrealist’s work.
- Join us for our 3rd Annual Benefit Splash on May 17, which in two years has grown to be a leading “fun-raiser” in our community. We also hope to see you at our 12th Annual Fine Art Auction on Sunday, August 31, which always features great historic art of the region and many wonderful surprises!
- We are planning several family events throughout the year, along with exhibitions in the Youth Exhibition Space. And we’ll continue work with area elementary, middle, and high school students, thanks to support from several private donors.
There’s a lot to enjoy ahead and many important projects behind the scenes. Your financial support helps ensure our staff and volunteers can make it all happen!
We wish you the very happiest of New Years and Health and Prosperity for you and yours.
Exhibitions and programs are possible thanks to the support of the WAAM Founders’ Circle, other individual and
business supporters, and our artist membership.
- Carolee Schneemann (lenidipple.wordpress.com)
- Editors’ Choice: Visualizing Schneemann (digitalhumanitiesnow.org)