June 27, 2015 – October 18, 2015
The Seven Deadly Sins: Pride
The Bruce Museum presents Pride, the sin of arrogance.. This mother of all sins is characterized by the desire to be exceptional. Join us as we explore the dazzling, dizzying heights of mankind’s hubris and vanity — as well as the resultant cataclysmic falls — through objects of art and material culture from the Renaissance into the contemporary period. Humans are not alone in being implicated in the sin of pride; peacocks and lions have also been symbols of the sin. This study of exquisite master prints, drawings, paintings, rare books, and a video installation will demonstrate the breadth and endurance of the imagery of this deadly sin.
This exhibition is part of a groundbreaking collaboration between the seven cultural institutions of the Fairfield/Westchester Museum Alliance (FWMA). Each museum in the alliance will concurrently present an exhibition that explores one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Interpretations will range from Old Master paintings to cutting-edge contemporary art.
- Sloth: Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum – July 19 – October 18, 2015
- Envy: Hudson River Museum – June 6 – September 26, 2015
- Lust: Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art – April 19, 2015 – July 26, 2015
- Gluttony: Katonah Museum of Art – July 19, 2015 – October 10, 2015
- Greed: Neuberger Museum of Art -July 12 – October 11, 2015
- Wrath: Wave Hill – June 07 – September 07, 2015
Click here for the press release on the seven museums, seven exhibitions collaboration.
Categories: Random interesting art stuff